Improving the quality of life for those around her is a theme that is interwoven into all aspects of Dr. Zerita C. Buchanan’s personal and professional life. As a fourth generation dentist, Dr. Buchanan’s resume is one that speaks beyond her years. Her commitment to health equity led her to be recognized as a “Healthcare Hero” by her alma mater Spelman College. She is actively working to eliminate diversity gaps, recruitment shortcomings and unequal access to care in the field of dentistry.
Dr. Buchanan graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry and currently provides dental care to the Greater Atlanta Area. Dr. Buchanan’s dental reputation is one of modern approaches and innovative techniques and, most importantly, compassion, fairness, and trustworthiness. She is constantly learning and staying abreast of the latest dental technology in order to care for her patients in a way that makes each of their smiles truly unique.
Her private practice, Dental Dreams, LLC, serves as an innovation hub for HBCU students interested in the STEM sciences. Since 2014, Dr. Buchanan has served as the Assistant Director of Increasing Diversity in Dentistry (IDID), a national pipeline program for minority college students interested in pursuing a career in dentistry. In 2022 Dr. Buchanan was awarded the Tory Burch Foundation Fearless Fund Women of Color Grant, which she used to launch a dental assisting school for HBCU students in Georgia. A beneficiary of many mentorships throughout her life, Dr. Zerita Buchanan is hoping to ensure the future of dentistry looks more inclusive. She hopes that through her mentorship efforts and other diversity and inclusion initiatives nationwide, minority students will see a face that looks like theirs in dentistry.
Dr. Buchanan was recently selected for the prestigious Joseph L. Henry Oral Health Fellowship at The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. In 2023, Dr. Buchanan will graduate from Harvard T.H Chan with a MPH in Minority Health Policy. She is an active member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated and The Dogwood City (GA) Chapter of The Links, Inc. She also serves as an adjunct professor at Morehouse School of Medicine in the Department of Medical Education.
Education and Continuing Education
- High School – Paideia School, Atlanta, GA
- Bachelor of Science Degree – Spelman College
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Master of Public Health 2023 Candidate - Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Every month, Dr. Buchanan attends study club meetings with Atlanta’s top oral health specialist to stay abreast of the latest advances in dentistry. She is also an active member of several professional organizations:
- Advanced Dental Implant Research & Education Center
- American Dental Association
- National Dental Association
- Seattle Study Club of Atlanta
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc
- The Links, Incorporated
Awards and Recognition
- 2022 National Dental Association 40 Under 40 Inaugural Class
- 2022 Tory Burch Fearless Fund Women of Color Grant
- 2022 USA Top Dentists Award
- 2022 Atlanta Best Self Magazine - 40 Under 40 Inspiring Innovators
- 2020 Atlantan Magazine Influential Women in Medicine
- 2020 Alumni of Lead Atlanta
- 2019 Spelman College Healthcare Hero
- 2020 Guest Lecturer Spelman College
- 2015 Feature in Atlantan Magazine as one of “Atlanta’s Leading Health and Beauty Expert”
- International College of Dentists Outstanding Leadership Award, 2014
- UNC Chapel Hill School of Dentistry Outstanding Oral Implantologist Award, 2014
- Special Training: Prenatal Oral Health Program, UNC Chapel Hill
Community and Personal Life
Dr. Buchanan is actively involved in the IDID (Increasing Diversity in Dentistry) program as a mentor. She also mentors science majors at Spelman College through the Sister2Sister program, and has volunteered at Arabia Mountain High School to help with the STEMwars after school competition. Dr. Buchanan loves encouraging undergraduate students to excel academically and pursue their dreams while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Dr. Buchanan was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and raised in Seattle, Washington. She relocated and made Georgia her permanent home when she was in high school. When she’s not working Dr. Buchanan enjoys trying new restaurants and participating in fitness events. She has even completed a triathlon and a half marathon!
Dr. Buchanan loves to start her day with positive affirmations. Her personal favorite is: “Get up every morning knowing you are anointed. You are equipped. You are empowered. You have everything you need to fulfill your destiny.”