As a fourth generation dentist, Dr. Zerita C. Buchanan continues her family legacy of providing exceptional dental care to her community. Through modern and innovative techniques, Dr. Buchanan exhibits the highest level of professionalism and compassion when caring for her patients. Committed to academic excellence, she conducted extensive biomedical research at world-class institutions including Stanford University and The University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Buchanan combines this breadth of knowledge with her artistic skills to thoroughly enhance her patient's oral health. Dr. Buchanan understands that every individual is different. She takes pride in carefully listening to the desires of her patients so that she may provide personalized treatment that is unique to each smile.
Dr. Buchanan is very passionate about educating her patients on the importance of oral health. She loves to empower her patients to take control of their dental needs and make informed decisions regarding their teeth. Dr. Buchanan loves meeting new patients and will do whatever possible to make your dream smile a reality!
Education and Continuing Education
- High School – Paideia School, Atlanta, GA
- Bachelor of Science Degree – Spelman College, Atlanta, GA
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Every month, Dr. Buchanan attends study club meetings with Atlanta’s top oral health specialist to stay abreast of the latest advances in dentistry. She is also an active member of several professional organizations:
- Advanced Dental Implant Research & Education Center
- American Dental Association
- National Dental Association
- Seattle Study Club of Atlanta
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc
Awards and Recognition
- 2015 Feature in Atlantan Magazine as one of “Atlanta’s Leading Health and Beauty Expert”
- International College of Dentists Outstanding Leadership Award, 2014
- UNC Chapel Hill School of Dentistry Outstanding Oral Implantologist Award, 2014
- Special Training: Prenatal Oral Health Program, UNC Chapel Hill
Community and Personal Life
Dr. Buchanan is actively involved in the IDID (Increasing Diversity in Dentistry) program as a mentor. She also mentors science majors at Spelman College through the Sister2Sister program, and has volunteered at Arabia Mountain High School to help with the STEMwars after school competition. Dr. Buchanan loves encouraging undergraduate students to excel academically and pursue their dreams while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Dr. Buchanan was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and raised in Seattle, Washington. She relocated and made Georgia her permanent home when she was in high school. When she’s not working Dr. Buchanan enjoys trying new restaurants and participating in fitness events. She has even completed a triathlon and a half marathon!
Dr. Buchanan loves to start her day with positive affirmations. Her personal favorite is: “Get up every morning knowing you are anointed. You are equipped. You are empowered. You have everything you need to fulfill your destiny.”